Turkey Sloppy Joes – 21 Day Fix Approved
This is another winning recipe from the Fixate cookbook that is 21 Day Fix AND kid approved!! I serve mine over zucchini noodles (Zoodles) or baked sweet potatoes or russet potatoes. My husband and kids also like it wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla or over whole wheat pasta. Next time I will be doubling the recipe so I will have leftovers for lunch or to freeze!
Portion Fix Container Equivalents: 1 Red, 1/2 Green 1 tsp
Yields: 4 Servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound raw ground lean turkey breast (93% lean), beef or chicken
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently for approx 1 minute. Transfer onion, pepper and garlic mixture to separate bowl and set aside.
- Add turkey to the same skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to break up the turkey (about 8-10 minutes), or until turkey is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion mixture, sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, pepper sauce, and maple syrup (or honey).
- Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently boil, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes (or until sauce has thickened).
- Sprinkle each serving with parsley before serving, if desired.