5 Ingredient Protein Bagels
This easy homemade bagel recipe is made from scratch with just 5 ingredients – flour, Greek yogurt, egg white, baking powder and salt! No yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer and no feeling like a carb overload.
- 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat, oat flour or gluten-free mix*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- (optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning (I use mine from Trader Joes), sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes, cinnamon and sugar, asiago cheese)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball into 3/4-inch thick ropes and join the ends to form bagels. (or you can make a ball and poke a hole in the center then stretch it slightly)
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle both sides with seasoning of your choice. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.