Italian Antipasto Salad
Cold antipasto in an Italian meal consists of a variety of cold meats, cheeses, olives, roasted peppers, and a variety of colorful vegetables that have been pickled in vinegar known as Giardiniera and pepperoncini. These ingredients add so much flavor to the salad, without tons of calories and oil. You can make a quick dressing by using some of the vinegar from the jar of the pepperoncini, and just add a touch of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and done!
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 16-20 green pitted olives (or black)
- 4 pepperoncini, sliced
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, sliced ( packed in water)
- 1 cup Giardiniera (I used Victoria brand)
- 1 cup cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella or mini mozzarella balls
- 16 turkey pepperoni, sliced thin (optional)
- 8 slices Prosciutto, sliced thin (or dry deli ham)
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 Tbls. red wine vinegar or vinegar brine from pepperoncini
- fresh black pepper
Directions for one big Salad:
Place the lettuce on a large dish and top with meats, vegetables and cheese. In a small bowl add vinegar or brine from pepperoncini, add black pepper and whisk in oil. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Directions for Salad for the week:
- Divide lettuce into 4 different serving containers. Top with divided tomatoes, red onion, & cucumbers. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- Make Vinaigrette and divide by 4 and store in the refrigerator in small containers.
- Slice pepperoncini & roasted red peppers and mix with 1 cup of Giardiniera and olives. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Slice turkey pepperoni and Prosciutto (or Ham) and store in an airtight container.
- Measure out 1 cup of Mozzarella and store in refrigerator.
- Assemble individual salads: Grab a lettuce container and top with 1/4 of the meats, cheese, dressing and olive mixture. Enjoy!