Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Spice up your daily breakfast grind with apple cinnamon baked oatmeal. It’s topped with cinnamon frosting for a slightly sweet and satisfying bowl of oats. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, unsweetened coconut, sliced almonds or a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.
Yields: 9 servings
For the oatmeal:
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large apple (any type), peeled finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can sub honey, stevia or coconut sugar)
- 3 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil, melted
- pomegranate seeds
- diced apples
- dried cranberries
- dried cherries
- cinnamon and sugar
- sliced almonds or pecan pieces
- unsweetened shredded coconut
For the cinnamon frosting (4 servings):
- 8 tablespoons Greek yogurt low fat 2%
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350ºF . Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and place all the wet ingredients (almond milk – butter).
- Whisk the well of wet ingredients until blended and then slowly fold in the dry ingredients from the perimeter of the bowl until mixed thoroughly.
- Transfer into baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Mix all ingredients for the cinnamon frosting and spoon over the baked cinnamon. Garnish with any additional toppings.