Apple Crisp Bars
In these Apple Crisp bars, the topping and the crumb crust use the same oat mixture sandwiched between sweet and seasoned apples. This will be your favorite flavor of fall placed into a portable form. (Inspired by: Garnish with Lemons)
Yields: 12 servings
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, divided (whole wheat white or gluten-free flour can be used)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 cups peeled and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (about 3 large apples)
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment so the paper hangs over all four sides. Set aside.
- Stir together oats, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Pour melted butter into oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Place 1/2 cup oat mixture aside and press remaining into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tablespoon flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. Stir to evenly to coat.
- Dump apples on top of crust in baking dish and gently even them out.
- Crumble remaining 1/2 cup oat mixture on top of apples. Cover foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until crumb is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Slice bars once completely cool and cover loosely until ready to serve.