- 1 1/2 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside and keep warm.
Heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add oil and garlic and cook until slightly brown. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sprinkle flour over garlic. Gradually add 1/2 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 9 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, Asiago, chives, pepper, and bacon.
Arrange half of potato slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of cheese sauce over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and cheese sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Note: This can easily be doubled for a 9 x 13 pan