Baked Cheeseburger Casserole
Kid-friendly and delicious! If you’re a cheeseburger lover, and the thought of ground beef, tomatoes, pickles and cheese tickles your fancy, then this truly American, comforting casserole is for you!
Yields: 9 servings
- 2 cups (6 oz) uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta or Gluten Free pasta
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbls. minced garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 28 oz diced tomatoes, don’t drain
- 2 tbsp Dijon or regular Mustard
- 2 cups reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup turkey bacon crumbles
- 1/4 cup dill relish or diced dill pickles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente and drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beef and cook until browned; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the ketchup, then add the tomatoes and mustard. Let the mixture bubble gently until it is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Toss the meat mixture with the pasta and spread it into the prepared dish.
- Top with the cheddar and bacon pieces and bake until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chopped pickles over the top and serve.