Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas
Start your day off right with this warm, satisfying heart-healthy breakfast your family will love. Oatmeal baked with ripe bananas, blueberries, cinnamon, honey and almonds… need I say more? You can make this with any combination of nuts and fruit you like, the possibilities are endless! But I really loved biting into a sweet warm banana, I felt like I was eating dessert.
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 medium ripe bananas, (the riper the better) sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
- 1 cup uncooked quick oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional) or nut of choice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly spray a 8 x 8″ or 9 x 9″ ceramic baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Arrange the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of the ceramic dish.
- Sprinkle half of the blueberries over the bananas, 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon, 1 tbsp of the honey and cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes, until the bananas get soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, half of nuts, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, and salt; stir together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Remove the bananas from the oven, then pour the oat mixture over the bananas and blueberries.
- Pour the milk mixture over the oats, making sure to distribute the mixture as evenly as possible over the oats. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries and nuts over the the top.
- Bake the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm from the oven.
Tip: When cooled individual pieces can be frozen and reheated for a quick breakfast or snack