Yields: 8 servings
- 12 oz uncooked ziti (wheat or gluten-free)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (or jarred marinara sauce with no added sugar)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 Tbls. Minced garlic
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 8 oz fat-free ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with oil spray.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente (I like to under-cook it 3 or 4 minutes as it will cook more in the oven). Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add torn spinach (you nay need to add it in batches as it cooks down), salt, pepper and crushed tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Add sauce to the pasta and combine. Add one cup of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta. Mix well.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned. Let it cool 5 minutes before serving.