Barbecue Chicken Baked Sweet Potatoes – 21 Day Fix Approved
For lightning-fast meal prep, try this healthy barbecue chicken baked sweet potato recipe. Make sure you’re really hungry when you make them — these puppies are filling.
Yields: 4 servings, 1 sweet potato and about ¾ cup chicken each
Container Equivalents: 1 Red, 2 Yellow
- 4 small sweet potatoes, washed, pierced several times with a fork
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless, warm
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, reduced-sugar, warm
- 4 Tbsp. chopped red onions (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley (or cilantro) (for garnish; optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Pierce each sweet potato 3 to 4 times with a fork. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While the sweet potato is baking, combine chicken and barbecue sauce in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Top sweet potatoes evenly with onions and chicken mixture. Sprinkle evenly with parsley; serve immediately.
Look for barbecue sauce that has an ingredient list that does not contain artificial sweeteners, additives, or preservatives. There are many brands on the market that are sweetened with small amounts of honey, maple syrup, or molasses.