Bell Pepper Nachos
Ah, nachos. A classic bar snack usually served up as a mountain of fried chips smothered in cheese…and totaling upwards of at least 500 calories.
These Bell Pepper Nachos taste like nachos (the bell pepper strips are a surprisingly good substitute for tortilla chips) but are actually healthy. They’re loaded with veggies, packed with lean protein, and they’re less than 300 calories a serving!.
If you want to add a little more flair to your bell pepper nachos, top them with diced avocado or a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 2 medium yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch wide slices
- 2 medium orange bell pepper cut into 1-inch wide slices
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium jalapeño seeds and veins removed, sliced (optional)
- ½ cup pico de gallo (or fresh tomato salsa)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat medium saucepan, lightly coated with spray, over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add Taco Seasoning and water. Mix well; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until water evaporates.
- Arrange peppers in an oven-proof baking dish; top with turkey mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Divide pepper mixture evenly between two serving plates. Top with jalapeños (if desired) and pico de gallo; serve immediately.