Blueberry Almond Crumble
With the elegant taste of almond extract in the blueberry filling and the cinnamon-spiced oat streusel on top, this easy dessert always disappears quickly—especially when served with ice cream! If you happen to have any leftovers, eat them plain for breakfast the next morning. I won’t judge!
Yields: 9 square slices
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 slivered almonds (or whole almonds ground up)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 6 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat an 8”-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare the oat streusel topping, whisk together the oats, flour, almonds and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add in the maple syrup and butter, stirring until completely incorporated.
- To prepare the filling, stir together the blueberries, cornstarch, and almond extract in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Transfer the filling to the prepared pan, and sprinkle the oat streusel on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, or until the blueberry juices are bubbling at the sides. Cool completely to room temperature; then chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve with Ice cream