If you are having company or a “stay in your pajamas for a while” sort of day, why not turn breakfast into an noshing event? Taking little bits of this and that with a cup of coffee, flavored water or tea is a happy way to start the day for your or your guests. I’ve included items that I typically have on hand—hard meats, prosciutto, spreadable cheese, olives, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, grainy breads, bagels or crackers, jams, nut butters and fruit. Play around and have fun with it. Your family and friends will think you are fancy but the reality is you kept it simple since this can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
- Strawberries, grapes, grapefruit or orange segments, apple or pear slices
- roasted almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts or peanuts
- Castelvetrano olives, capers (or any olive that is a little sweeter and less briny)
- hard-cooked egg, halved
- Gruyere, Brie, Swiss, flavored cheeses or aged cheddar cheese, sliced
- Flavored spreadable cheese
- Jams, chutneys, honey
- whole wheat bagels, pitas, crackers, grainy mini bread slices
- sliced prosciutto, hard meats, ham or Lox
Arrange all ingredients on a platter or a cutting board and serve with small plates, coffee, tea and flavored water.