Broccoli Cheese Soup
This thick and creamy broccoli, cheese and potato soup is lick-the-bowl good! Pure comfort in a bowl, a one-pot meal your whole family will love and ready in under 30 minutes.
Yields: 8 servings (feel free to cut in half)
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 1- 20 oz bag shredded real potatoes, regular or sweet, thawed (you can use fresh potatoes grated in a food processor as well – about 2 large)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 -5 heads broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 4 Tbls. butter
- 3/4 cup flour (All purpose, whole wheat or gluten-free flour)
- 2 cups less sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 3 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables, and salt and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups chicken broth
- In a medium sauce pan add 4 Tbls. butter, flour, salt and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth and butter is melted.
- Gradually add in the 2 cups chicken broth and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Remove from heat and stir into the vegetable stock pot, slowly adding in the cheese
- Stir well until cheese is melted and smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and enjoy