Burgers with Basil and Garlic
Minced Garlic and Basil make these burgers extra flavorful. Adding grated zucchini to the lean ground beef helps keep the burgers moist, and is an inexpensive way to add bulk. It’s almost undetectable, so it’s a clever way to sneak extra veggies into your diet. If you like the zucchini, experiment with adding a second grated zucchini! Try this with turkey burgers, too. You can also read more about how to make healthier hamburgers, here.
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. raw 95% lean ground sirloin
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 Tbls. basil (or about 6 fresh leaves, minced)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 4 slices medium tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 red onion slices
1. Preheat grill or broiler to high to 400 degrees.
2. Add sirloin, zucchini, basil, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into four patties.
3. Grill or broil patties for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
4. Top each bottom bun with a patty, tomato slice, lettuce leaf, onion slice, and top bun.