Cauliflower Rice-Stuffed Peppers
Slash the calories and carbs of traditional stuffed peppers by swapping white rice for cauliflower “rice.” The riced cauliflower is hearty and won’t turn to mush during baking. Use an assortment of red, yellow, orange and green peppers to make an appealing presentation.
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice off stem ends of bell peppers. Cut the flesh from the stem and chop. You should have about 1 cup. Scoop out any remaining seeds from the pepper cavities.
- Place about an inch of water in an 8 x 8 pan and place the peppers together standing upright. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Drain access water from the bottom of the pan and set peppers aside, keeping covered to remain warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until softened and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the chopped bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add beef, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon just until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add tomato; stir to coat.
- Fill each pepper with a generous 1 cup of the cauliflower rice mixture. Top each pepper with 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted.