Cauliflower “Fried Rice” with Shrimp (or Chicken)
- 1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 1 Tbls. minced ginger
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 Tbls. minced garlic
- 5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
- 3 Tbsp Low Sodium soy sauce
- 2 lb bag of cooked tail off salad shrimp (shredded chicken would be great too)
- Remove the core and leaves of the cauliflower. Wash and dry cauliflower.
- Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don’t over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and saute onions, ginger, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Raise the heat to medium-high.
- Add the cauliflower “rice” to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Add thawed shrimp and warm through for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.