Cheesy Steak Skillet – 21 Day Fix Approved
Steak for dinner? Yes, please! This Cheesy Steak Skillet isn’t a cheesesteak, but it has all the yummy flavor of one, draped over a bed of brown rice with vegetables and topped with shredded Colby Jack cheese. (Author Beachbody)
Yields: 4 servings (approx. 1½ cups each)
Portion Fix Containers: (per serving): 1 green, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. butter divided use
- 1 lb. raw beef skirt steak
- 2 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/3 cups chopped onion (approx. 1½ medium)
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2/3 cup dry long-grain brown rice
- 1 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground paprika
- 1½ cups frozen cut green beans
- 1½ cups chopped carrot (approx. 3 medium)
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. butter in large heavy-bottomed (or cast iron) skillet over high heat until wisps of smoke begin to rise.
- Add steak; sear for 3 minutes on each side (for medium), or until deep brown. Remove steak from skillet and place on a plate. Season both sides of steak lightly with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. butter in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
- Add broth, turmeric, paprika, remaining 1 tsp. salt, remaining ½ tsp. pepper, green beans, and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, covered, for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Slice steak thin, on the bias, against the grain.
- Remove lid from skillet; lightly fluff rice with a fork. Place sliced steak on top. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Replace lid and let rest for 10 minutes