Chicken and Rice Enchilada Casserole
This is the best chicken enchilada casserole you will ever eat! Throw everything into your casserole dish raw and in just 60 minutes you’ll have a healthy chicken casserole ready to eat. (Courtesy of FitFoodie)
- 1.5 cups long-grain white rice (don’t substitute another rice due to cooking times)
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 ” pieces
- 1 4.5-oz can green chiles
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro
- a squeeze of lime
- Greek yogurt/sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray (be generous!).
- Sprinkle the chopped veggies into the casserole dish.
- Prep chicken breast by cutting it into 1-inch chunks and place on top of vegetables.
Top with long-grain white rice, green chiles, and black beans.
In a bowl mix enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and spices and mix. Then, pour the enchilada mixture on top of veggies and chicken.
Using a large spoon to mix everything together. Use your hands to press all solid contents into the liquid so that everything is (mostly) covered.
Cover with aluminum foil (do not skip this part) and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove and stir. It will still be a little soupy, but don’t worry this is how it’s supposed to be! Place back in the oven for 30 more minutes, covered.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese and place back into the oven for 3-5 minutes to fully melt the cheese.
Remove and let sit** for about 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with fresh cilantro, Greek yogurt/sour cream, and a squeeze of lime.