Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This casserole is very filling and will satisfy a hearty appetite for many hours. I used to love casseroles as a kid such as potatoes au gratin, mac and cheese, and tuna noodle casserole but this one is just as good without gluten and dairy. I hope you like it and will share it with your family. Leave a comment and let me know how it turns out.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 t. Sea salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray or coconut oil and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli until just barely cooked and set aside, uncovered.
- In a sauce pan melt the coconut oil, brown the onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, saute until cooked and move the pan off the heat.
- Transfer the broccoli, mushroom, onions, and shredded chicken into the casserole pan distributing evenly.
- Mix the chicken broth, coconut milk, eggs, nutmeg with a generous pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl with a whisk and pour it over the contents of the casserole dish.
- Make sure the mixture is spread evenly and all the contents are covered.
- Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 35 to 40 minutes until done in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.