Chicken Tinga Tacos – 21 Day Fix Approved
Chicken Tinga is one of my favorite taco fillings. The combination of lean chicken breast and spicy tomato sauce really hits the spot, and it’s the perfect way to dress up that boring, meal-prepped chicken you have in the fridge. In just 25 minutes, you can have authentic, taqueria-style tacos for the whole week, and the leftovers get better each day as those rich, bold flavors meld over time.
Yields: 4 servings (2 tacos each)
Portion Fix Containers (per serving): 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 tsp
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion (approx. 1 medium)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup all-natural tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 canned chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (just the pepper, not 2 cans)
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (sauce from the canned chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime peel (lime zest)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Sprinkle broth with cornstarch and mix in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat until fragrant.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add broth mixture, tomato puree, chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, chipotle chili peppers, adobo sauce, lime juice, lime peel, chicken, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Remove bay leaves. Divide ¾ cup (1 ) chicken mixture between two tortillas for each serving.
Possible toppings (for 1 serving) include:
• 2 Tbsp. Cotija cheese (add ½ blue container )
• 1/4 medium avocado, chopped (add 1 blue container)
• 1 Tbsp. chopped onion with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and a
squeeze of lime juice (Free)