Chicken Tortilla Casserole
It looks great on the plate alone, but you could also add some optional toppings like extra salsa, avocado, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, or cilantro. If you’re looking to make this meal more substantial, you could also serve it with a side of cauliflower rice
As with most casseroles, the leftovers almost taste better the next day, so don’t be afraid to make a whole batch even if you’re just feeding one or two people. You can cut the casserole into individual servings and place them in airtight containers. Put them into the freezer and you’ll have a ready-to-go lunch or dinner for a later time.
Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 cup 0% Plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups shredded chicken (from about 1 pound chicken breasts)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup (reduced-fat) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, skim milk, and salsa.
- Add the chicken, corn, bell pepper, salt, cumin, chili powder and half of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Arrange 4 of the tortillas over the bottom of the casserole dish, overlapping if necessary.
- Top the tortillas with 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Cover the chicken with 4 tortillas and repeat the process.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the final layer of tortillas and bake for 30 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, until the mixture is warm and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before slicing.