Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Soup
This soup is perfect for freezing and reheating for a second night, or for lunch on the go. I love this topped with avocado and sour cream to mellow the heat, but it would also be great with a little cheese on top.
Yields: Servings 7
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can whole kernel corn (or 2 cups frozen)
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- cut limes, for serving
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Take one can of beans and place in the blender along with 2 cups of the chicken broth; puree then add to your slow cooker.
- Add the remainder of the beans and chicken broth into the slow cooker along with tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, diced green chiles, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breast, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro.
- Set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks. Place back into the slow cooker and add fresh scallions, remainder cilantro and adjust salt and cumin, to taste.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Prep:
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients in a Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into slow cooker.
- Cook on “low” setting for 6 hours.