Chickpea, Quinoa and Greens Salad
A mason jar salad made with components that you can mix and match!
Yields: 4 servings
1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup quality extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar, honey or sugar
Chickpea and celery salad:
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced crosswise and roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup chopped red onion (about one small red onion, chopped)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup olive oil and lemon juice, to taste
Greens and garnishes:
- Mixed greens, roughly chopped if you have time (a couple handfuls per salad)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries,
- 1 cup Kalamata or black olives, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Make Quinoa according to package directions.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until emulsified.
- Make the chickpea and celery salad: In a serving bowl, toss together the chickpeas, prepared celery, red onion and parsley. Stir in enough the olive oil and lemon juice to lightly coat the salad.
- Toss and set aside.
To assemble your mason jar salads:
In a quart-sized mason jar (32 ounce capacity) or wide container with a lid, layer the chickpea salad at the bottom along with an additional tablespoon or two of dressing (enough to lightly coat the salad when you turn the jar upside down). Top with cooled quinoa, then greens (leave about an inch of room at the top). Finish with a sprinkle of dried cherries, olives and feta cheese.