Citrus and Herb Oven Roasted Chicken
Once this chicken has baked, remove the pieces to a serving platter. Nestle in some of your pretty citrus and aromatic herbs, and you have an easy, elegant meal. Everyone – even if it’s just your hubby – will be so impressed!
(Courtesy of Thecomfortkitchen.com)
YIELD: Serves 6
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10-12 pieces (about 4 1/2 lbs.) bone-in chicken parts (thighs and legs are best), pat dry
- 1 medium onion (any kind), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, or fresh chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place parts skin side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Pour olive oil mixture all over chicken, turning pieces to coat all sides. (If you marinated the chicken in this mixture, still add it all in).
- Arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion around and under the chicken.
- Sprinkle all over generously with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- Remove parts to a serving platter and garnish with additional chopped fresh herbs, if desired.
- Cook for 30-40 if you use boneless chicken breasts in place of chicken parts.
- For best results, chicken can be marinated in a plastic container or bag for several hours or overnight in the olive oil mixture.
- This is great served with a big salad, and/or lemon orzo/potatoes, or garlic bread!