Clean Eating Potato and Sausage Soup
I worked at Olive Garden in my college years and Zuppa Toscana was always on the menu. This soup is comforting, creamy and smells amazing but is traditionally made with white potatoes and milk. In this recipe I swapped out the white potatoes for cauliflower and the milk for full fat coconut milk for a dairy free version of this Italian power horse soup. Enjoy!Servings: 8
- 6 pieces bacon, diced (or 1 package Real Bacon Pieces)
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets (you can sub white potatoes)
- 4 cups spinach, torn
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (or regular milk if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice bacon and chop onion.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat, add bacon and Italian sausage to cook.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and developing crispy bits, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare cauliflower and spinach as noted.
- Once the meat is browned, add the onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and add the spinach and coconut milk. Simmer an additional 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.