Copycat Chipotle Marinated Chicken – Baked or Grilled
Seriously so good and even better than Chipotle. Perfect for burritos and/or burrito bowls or meal prep to have flavorful chicken on hand for quick lunches and dinners for the week.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup beer like Modelo, Corona or another light beer.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce (1 chili from the can, not the whole can)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup lime juice (or juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from can above)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Combine beer, onion, garlic, chili pepper, 2 tablespoons canola oil, lime juice, adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in blender or food processor until smooth.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken thighs and beer mixture; marinate for at least 4 hours to overnight, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- If grilling: Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 8-10 minutes.
- If Baking: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to a baking sheet lined with cooking spray or parchment paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- Let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
- Serve warm.