Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
This is a deliciously creamy and hearty soup and it’s total comfort food for this season! The chicken, spinach, mushrooms and tortellini all just go so well together and they are perfectly complimented by the creamy broth. Try it, you’ll love everything about this soup…unless you are like my oldest child and hate mushrooms then you just may find yourself picking them out or eliminating them altogether. Tortellini soups are some of my favorite kinds of soup, tortellini has got to be the best kind of pasta, right? I’m mean anything with a hidden pocket of cheese inside has got to be good! Enjoy and stay warm!
3 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 2 -3 celery stalks, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms , sliced – optional
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb (about 3 breasts) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c White cooking wine
- 1 c. 0% plain Greek Yogurt
- 9 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 4 oz fresh spinach (4 cups)
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese , for serving
Directions for Stove Top:
Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle flour over the saute vegetables and mix well to coat. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add in chicken broth, chicken, oregano and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot with lid and allow to simmer 10 – 15 minutes until chicken is cooked through
When chicken is done, remove it from the pan then cut into bit size pieces and set aside.
Add wine and diced chicken back to the pan.
- Reduce heat and bring to a low boil. Keep simmering. Add Greek Yogurt, pasta and torn Spinach Leaves.
Cook for 10 more minutes until pasta is heated through but not mushy. Serve warm with Parmesan cheese.
Directions for Slow Cooker:
- Follow step 1 through 3 above.
- Now toss the cooked and floured vegetables into the Slow Cooker
- Add wine, chicken broth, chicken to the slow cooker as well.
- Close the lid and cook on high for 4 – 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving stir in the Greek Yogurt, torn spinach leaves and and Pasta.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.