Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This is a healthier twist on the classic creamy chicken and wild rice soup that keeps your nutrition on point but your belly satisfied. If you can’t find quick cooking wild rice, see note below. You can sub leftover turkey for the chicken in this recipe.
- 1 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cups chopped celery
- 1 cups chopped carrots
- 1 tbls. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup instant or quick cooking wild rice *See note below
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup 0% plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add mushrooms celery, carrots and onion. Cook, stirring often until brown and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and cook, stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping the brown bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 5 – 7 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken, yogurt and lemon juice and cook until heated through making sure your rice is cooked, about 5 minutes more.
- Add salt to taste and serve.
Note: Quick cooking or instant wild rice is parboiled to reduce cooking time. Conventional rice takes 40-50 minutes to cook. Be sure to check the cooking directions when selecting your rice. Some “quick” brands still need 30 minutes to cook. If you can’t find quick cooking wild rice simply adjust your cooking time in Step #3 until your rice is tender.