Egg Roll in a Bowl
If you’re looking for a low carb way to enjoy your favorite Chinese takeout egg rolls, you absolutely NEED to try this meal! You can substitute ground turkey for the sausage, or even mini shrimp. Serve it over a bed of greens for a nice salad the next day at lunch, too.
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 pound ground pork, turkey or baby shrimp
- 1 bag dry coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage)
- ½ onion medium, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas (no need to thaw)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks of green onion
- Brown ground pork in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Drain or wipe fat out of the pan.
- Add sesame oil and onion to pan with browned ground pork. Mix together and continue cooking over medium heat.
- Mix soy sauce, garlic, and ground ginger together in a small bowl. Once onions have browned, add the sauce mixture to the pan.
- Immediately add the cabbage mixture to the pan and toss to coat the vegetable and evenly distribute ingredients. Add chicken broth to the pan and mix. Continue cooking over medium heat for three minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the peas.
- Push the coleslaw mixture to the side in the pan to add 3 whisked eggs and scramble until cooked throughout and incorporate into the coleslaw mixture.
- Garnish with salt, pepper, and green onion.