Eggs in a Puff Pastry Basket
Thanks to ever-handy, store-bought puff pastry, this stunning savory tart is shockingly easy to make. The flakey puff pastry crust cradles 8 over easy eggs, surrounded with vibrant spring vegetables. What you have here is an incredibly impressive option for your next brunch gathering. Serve with a side of roasted red potatoes or fresh fruit for a complete meal that’s sure to wow.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Lay 2 puff pastry sheets end to end in prepared pan; cut off any excess dough. Press seam of 2 sheets together with moistened fingers. Repeat procedure, layering remaining 2 puff pastry sheets on top of first 2 sheets.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel asparagus and carrot lengthwise into strips. Reserve and set aside 1 cup of carrot strips. Using a 3-inch round cutter or cup, lightly press 8 circles into puff pastry sheets. (Do not press all the way through dough.) Spread asparagus and remaining carrot strips around the 8 circles; gently press vegetables into dough.
- Sprinkle vegetables evenly with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- Using the 3-inch round cutter, cut 8 circles from pastry, cutting all the way through to the pan. Remove pastry circles; discard or reserve for another use. Carefully break 1 egg into each hole. Sprinkle eggs evenly with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400°F until egg whites are set and yolks are still runny, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on rack 10 minutes.
- Place greens, radish, oil, lemon juice, reserved carrot strips, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; gently toss to combine.
- Arrange mixture around eggs. Cut pastry into 8 pieces, and serve immediately.