Freezer to Slow Cooker Lemon Basil Chicken With Carrots and Green Beans
Lemon and basil pair together perfectly. They taste garden fresh and enhance the natural flavor of the chicken. You will love how healthy this lemon basil chicken recipe is and be thrilled how easy it is to toss together.
Yields: 6 servings
- 5 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast (approximately 8 oz. each)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, no sugar added
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon dry basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups trimmed green beans, fresh or frozen
Directions for Cooking Now:
- Place the carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker and put everything else on top of them.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
- The chicken should shred easily when it’s done.
- Shred chicken and serve by itself or over whole grains of choice.
To Freeze and Slow Cook Later:
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date (three months from when you prepped the meal).
- Add all ingredients to your bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight or in morning in water and then follow cooking instructions above.
- Serve with couscous or quinoa and a fresh garden salad.