Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos
These freezer breakfast burritos, stuffed with scrambled eggs, bell pepper, sausage and cheese, are a great way to start the day! Make them ahead and freeze them for meal prep so you can have them ready any day of the week. You can use this simple recipe for turkey sausage to toss to the pan with your veggies.
Yields: 10 burritos
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage (I use my homemade 21 day Fix turkey sausage)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 – 8 inch 100% whole-grain tortillas
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add breakfast sausage, red peppers and onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink and veggies are tender. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scrambled Eggs:
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until blended.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula forming curds.
- Continue cooking – pulling, lifting and folding eggs – until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Don’t stir constantly. Remove from heat.
- Set aside.
- Place 2 Tbsp. cheese in the center of each tortilla.
- Add the egg and sausage mixture.
- Fold the sides into the center of the tortilla and then roll into a burrito.
- Burritos can be individually wrapped in parchment paper or foil or placed into an airtight zipper bag for the freezer or enjoyed right away.
How to reheat burritos:
To reheat direct from freezer to microwave: Remove the burrito from the foil and place on a microwave safe dish, cover with a paper towel microwave 1 minute. Turn then cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes before eating. (optional, brown on a skillet 2 minutes on each side to toast, or broil 2 to 3 minutes.