Freezer to Skillet or Slow Cooker Chicken Biryani
Fragrant spices such as turmeric, cardamom, cumin and coriander infuse this velvety tomato cream sauce. Try serving this dish with whole-grain naan bread or brown rice.
Yields: 4 servings
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with juices
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 cup whole-milk yogurt (TIP: Avoid using nonfat yogurt here as it may curdle when heated.)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch chunks
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients in a Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
Cooking for Skillet:
- In a large deep skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat oil on medium.
- Add the contents of the gallon bag into the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add additional salt and cumin to taste.
- Serve over Jasmine or Basmati rice.
Cooking for Slow Cooker:
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into slow cooker.
- Cook on “low” setting for 8 hours until the meal is tender.
- Add salt and additional cumin to taste.
- Serve over Jasmine or Basmati Rice