Freezer to Skillet Taco Turkey and Rice
No need for taco shells or carb-loaded wraps when you can get the same flavor and fewer calories in a rice bowl. Skip the microwave dinners and put this nutritious meal together in no time.
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups salsa, no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice, cooked according to package
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients in a Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
Cooking for Stovetop:
- In a large skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat oil on medium.
- Add the contents of the gallon bag into the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until heated through.
- Add additional salt to taste.
- Serve with taco toppings as desired. Example: Cheese, Plain Greek Yogurt, Avocado, Cilantro, Black Olives, Hot Sauce, diced fresh tomatoes or over a bed of lettuce