You can cook this dinner to serve immediately or you can freeze a batch and cook later. You can use as much or as little of the sauce as you would like, depending on how soggy you like your roll. I also like to serve it on the side and use it as a dip. Best served with homemade sweet potato fries!
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (orange, yellow and red, cut into strips (or a bag or frozen colored pepper strips)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- Crusty French sandwich bread, toasted
- Mix corn starch into chicken broth.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT for cheese in the slow cooker.
- Cook on “low” setting for 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and peppers are soft.
- Lay cheese over mixture.
- Cook on “low” for additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on a fresh, hot roll.
Directions for Freezer and Slow Cooker
- Label a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date.
- Add all ingredients to a freezer bag, except cheese and bread. (You can add broth and cornstarch.)
- Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to three months.
- When ready to cook, following directions above.