Slow Cooker Savory Super Food Soup
Yields: 8 servings
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, torn into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayanne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tsp. Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable juice (I used R.W. Knudsen, Very Veggie Juice, no sugar added)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Place all the ingredients in a Gallon Freezer Ziploc bag.
- Remove as much air as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
Cooking for Stovetop:
- In a large deep pot with a tight fitting lid, heat oil on medium.
- Add the contents of the gallon bag into the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until heated through and Kale is wilted and tender.
- Add additional salt to taste. Serve with diced avocado and baked tortilla chips
Cooking for Slow Cooker:
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into slow cooker.
- Cook on “low” setting for 8 hours until the meal is tender.
- Add salt to taste. Serve with diced avocado and baked tortilla chips