Grilled Romaine Salad with Avocado Sauce
Grilled lettuce… have you tried it yet? You’ll love the smokey, grilled flavor this salad has to offer.
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 Heads Romaine lettuce, sliced in half lengthwise (one half per person)
- 24 oz medium sized shrimp, with tail and shell off and thawed
- 1 bag frozen roasted corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup pepitas or slivered almonds
- Tortilla strips (optional)
Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 limes, juiced or 1/4 cup lime juice
- zest from one of the limes
- ¼ C. orange juice
- ¼ C. olive oil
- 1 Tbls. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbls. honey (could also use agave nectar)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- 5 shakes of green Tobasco sauce (more or less to your taste preference. You could also use some fresh jalapeño instead)
- ¼ – ½ C. cilantro (I usually just grab a large handful and don’t really measure)
Directions for Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Store in refrigerator. If you’d like a thinner sauce, just add a bit of water while blending.
Directions for Grilled Romaine Southwest Salad
- Grill the Lettuce: Slice romaine lettuce in half lengthwise. Be sure to keep the “stem” so the leaves will all stay in place. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt & pepper and place on grill to char (both sides).
- Saute the shrimp or grill: Toss shrimp with a little olive oil, salt & pepper (I also like to use a little chipotle pepper) and grill or saute until just cooked, remove and set aside.
- Assemble Salad: Top grilled romaine with shrimp, corn, tomatoes, cheese, sliced olives, pepitas, and Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce!