Harvest Minestrone Soup
Beautiful colors, nutritionally packed, warm & hearty for cold nights.
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 3 carrots – diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 cups fresh zucchini – diced
- 2 cups green beans-cut 1 inch
- 1 bell pepper – medium diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 28-ounce cans of water (refill your empty can, twice)
- 1 15-ounce can rinsed cannellini beans
- 1 15-ounce can rinsed chickpeas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups kale – stems removed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with parmesan to taste
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute or until garlic begins to color.
- Add the zucchini and the green beans, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the kale and the canned beans, bring back to a gentle boil and cook for another 5 minutes or just until the kale is tender.
- Grate in the parmesan, add fresh basil and serve. (or do this for individual servings.)
- * Note if you are on Paleo or don’t do beans, simply double the Quinoa in this recipe.