Hawaiian Ham & Pineapple Bowls
A flavorful bowl over rice packed with red peppers, pineapple and ham. The secret to a delicious rice is flavoring it with chicken bouillon.
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 cups rice – any variety (white, brown, jasmine, ect.)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tsp.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups red pepper (any color is fine) pieces cut into ½ inch by 1 inch pieces
- 2 cup smoked ham cubes cut into ½ inch by 1 inch pieces
- 2 cup fresh pineapple cubes cut into ½ inch by 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon black pepper1
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh basil leaves
- Cook the 4 cups of rice in chicken stock
- While the rice cooks add the red pepper and a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large skillet. Cook over a low to medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the peppers start to blacken. Flip occasionally.
- Add in ham, pineapple, brown sugar, water, pepper and salt, crank up the heat for about a minute so you can blacken the pineapple and sear the ham.
- Reduce the heat, stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice with fresh shredded basil leaves on top.