Hearty Instant Pot Chicken & Potatoes
I love a good one-pot meal and with the Instant Pot, you can make this tasty and rustic meal of chicken and potatoes with minimal clean up. Plus, cooking the potatoes and chicken at the same time allows for the flavors of the chicken, onion and vegetables to infuse the potatoes, while the starch in them thickens the broth and makes it rich and hearty.
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 medium chicken breasts, diced
- 3-4 large potatoes, diced into large cubes (larger than chicken pieces)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 + ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 ½ cups water
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Saute function.
- Add the onion and butter and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the reset of the ingredients. Reserve half of the peas (if using) for later.
- Stir everything in the pot, and press the Keep Warm/Cancel button to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the top vent is pointing to Sealing. Press the Manual setting, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and begin the cooking process. The pressure should take about 10 minutes to build, plus 10 minutes of cooking, so about 20 minutes in total.
- In the meantime, add the remaining frozen peas to a bowl of boiling hot water to defrost.
- Once the timer goes off, allow a few minutes for the pressure to release naturally; then use a quick release method (pull the top vent lever to Venting, while standing away from the Instant Pot as the steam will shoot up in the air).
- Open the lid, stir through and serve topped with the remaining defrosted peas and a little extra lemon zest and black pepper for garnish, if you like