Hipster Tuna Melt
Classic comfort diner food just got a make-over… the high protein tuna melt. Replacing the full mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt and serving it opened faced topped with tomato and avocado makes this classic sandwich lower in unhealthy fats and higher in nutrients. Use your favorite sprouted whole grain bread (I like Ezekial found in the freezer section) and serve with a salad or a cup of soup on the side.
Yields: Servings: 2
- 1 4.5 oz can tuna (in water) drained
- 2 Tbls. dill pickle relish
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 Tbls. mustard
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices sprouted whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/2 medium avocado
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine tuna, relish, celery, mustard, yogurt, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place both pieces of toast on a small baking sheet
- Top toast evenly with tuna mixture and add tomato slices, avocado and cheese.
- Bake for 4 -6 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Meal Prep tip: Save the other half of the tuna mixture in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy instead of making 2 servings.