Homemade Puerto Rican Spice Mix
Sazon is like the magic spice blend in many of Latin dishes. The key ingredient in this spice mix is ground annatto (achiote), the spice that gives yellow rice that yellow color. Annatto is derived from the seeds of achiote tree. In India it’s referred to as sindoor, and in the Philippines, it is called atsuete. You can find it in hispanic markets, but you can also find it on Amazon. If you can’t find this, turmeric would be a good substitute. You can use this spice mix in recipe like these:
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground annatto seeds (achiote) or turmeric or a mix of paprika and turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of this mix equals one packet of commercial sazon.