Grilled Honey Lime Chicken with Cowboy Caviar
Part bean salad and part salsa dip, cowboy caviar is a vibrant combination of black-eyed peas, corn, tomatoes, onions and avocado. Pour it over grilled chicken, marinated with honey and lime, for a recipe that’s anything but boring. Serve over greens for a low-carb meal or over brown rice for energizing carbs and fiber.
Yields: 4 Servings
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (5-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (can sub black beans)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen and thawed yellow corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 small ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- Combine 2 tablespoons lime juice, honey, oil, pepper and 1/4 salt in a plastic storage bag or shallow container. Add chicken, tossing to coat. Close the bag or cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 15 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Cowboy Caviar by combining beans, corn, tomato, avocado, onion, cilantro, salt and cumin in a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill chicken 5 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Serve each breast with 3/4 cup Cowboy Caviar.