Freezer to Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
This is such a simple, effortless dish that comes together so easily in the slow cooker. Simply throw everything into your slow cooker and that’s it! Use my hack of using your handheld mixer to easily shred the chicken. You can also easily make 2 of these meals. One for now and one to freeze for later.
Yields: 5 servings
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional – doesn’t really add heat, just adds more flavor)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too) – about 1 ½ to 2 pounds
- 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper or to taste
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
Directions to cook immediately:
- In a large bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil, and red pepper.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken thighs into a slow cooker. Add honey mixture and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken thighs from the slow cooker and shred the chicken before returning to the pot with the juices. (or use my hack of using your handheld mixer in your slow cooker to easily shred the chicken.) Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Prep for Freezer:
- Label your freezer bag with the name of the meal and cooking instructions.
- Add the ingredients to the Freezer bag up to Red Pepper flakes.
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible, seal and lay flat in the Freezer.
- The night before cooking, move frozen bag to your refrigerator to thaw
- The morning of cooking, pour contents into crockpot.
- Cook on “low” setting for 5-6 hours until the chicken is tender.
- Place cornstarch in a bowl and slowly whisk in 6 T. water until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker and let it cook an additional 30 minutes.
Note: Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles with a side of roasted vegetables