Instant Pot Gumbo
This Instant Pot Gumbo is so easy to make and even easier to clean up. Made with sausage, chicken, and shrimp, this gumbo is BURSTING with flavor!
Yields: 8 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 c. celery chopped
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1 pkg. andouille sausage (13.5 oz) cut into rounds
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/3 c. butter
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 tsp. Creole seasoning (or to taste, we used Tony Chachere’s)
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (aka Rotel)
- 1 (14-15oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 c. okra sliced
- 1 lb. shrimp peeled, deveined
- 4 c. cooked rice
- Set Instant Pot to “Saute” function and add olive oil.
- Add peppers, onion, celery, garlic, and sausage.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables become soft.
- Remove all vegetables and sausage. Set aside.
- Immediately add butter to instant pot and stir, scraping up any cooked bits from the bottom of the pot. When butter is melted, add flour.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly until dark brown, forming a roux. Turn cooker off.
- Add chicken broth, cooked vegetables and sausage, chicken, Creole seasoning, diced tomatoes with chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position.
- Press “Manual” and select “High Pressure.” Set time to 20 minutes. When time is up, turn cooker off.
- Quick release by turning valve to “venting”.
- When pressure is fully released, remove lid and stir in okra. Press “Saute”, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve with white rice or cauliflower rice.