Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken – the perfect Instant Pot recipe to curb that takeout craving for busy weeknights. Best of all, this popular favorite is healthier, low carb and paleo friendly with the same classic sweet & spicy flavors as your local Chinese restaurant.
Yields: 4 Servings
- 2 lbs Chicken Boneless Breasts, cut into bite size chunks
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sesame seed oil
Sauce (If you like this dish saucier – feel free to double the amount and save the rest for another dish)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce (use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos if necessary)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons honey or coconut sugar
- 4 Tablespoons hoisin sauce (use gluten free hoisin sauce if necessary)\
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (use arrowroot powder for paleo)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1 ⁄ 2 cups Red Bell Pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 1 ⁄ 2 cups sliced Zucchini or Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup Raw Cashews
- 2 cups cooked Cauliflower Crumbles, jasmine rice , rice noodles or quinoa
- 1 ⁄ 4 cups sliced Green Onion (Scallion)
Season chunked chicken with salt and black pepper.
Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE. Allow pan to heat up for a few minutes then add oil. Cook chicken about 3-4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
While the chicken is cooking, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside
Quick Release the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to “Cancel/Keep Warm” and then press “Saute” and add the chopped vegetables and saute for 4 minutes.
Pour the sauce over the chicken cooked chicken and browned vegetables, keeping the Instant Pot on Saute.
Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the sauce to bubble and thicken up.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice. For non-low carb, you can serve with white or brown rice.
Cook rice or your favorite side and divide evenly into lunch containers. Add cooked chicken and vegetables, cover and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.