Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
Delicious Mexican pork made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) for tacos, burrito bowls, taco salads and more (also great with cilantro lime rice)!
Yields: 11 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds trimmed, boneless pork shoulder blade roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Puerto Rican Spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dry adobo seasoning (I used Goya)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Press saute on the instant pot, spray with oil and brown the pork on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork about 1-inch deep, and insert the garlic slivers, you’ll want to do this all over.
- Season pork with cumin, homemade spice mix, oregano, adobo and garlic powder all over.
- Pour chicken broth, add chipotle peppers and stir, add bay leaves and place pork in the Instant Pot, cover and cook using the pressure cooker setting on high pressure for 80 minutes.
- When the pressure releases, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumulated at the bottom.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust cumin and add adobo and mix well.