Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
yields: 4 –6 SERVINGS
The BEST EVER Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos! Easy, juicy instant Pot Mexican chicken that’s healthy and full of flavor. Use it for tacos, burritos, taco bowls, or mix with black beans and rice.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil — divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts — (about 4 small/medium or 3 medium/large), cut in half if large
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt — divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo — individual peppers, NOT 2 cans!! Just the peppers, not the sauce.
- 1 can diced tomatoes in their juices — (14 ounces)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice — from about 2 medium limes
FOR THE AVOCADO SAUCE:
- 1 ripe avocado — peeled and pitted
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Corn Tortilla Shells
- Any other bonus toppings: fresh cilantro — shredded lettuce, shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, diced jalapeno, thinly sliced radishes, diced mango, cheese, salsa
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil. Once hot and shimmering, add half the chicken and sear both sides for 2 to 3 minutes each, just until brown (the chicken does not need to be cooked through). Do not disturb the chicken while each side sears. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add the second half of the chicken and sear each side for 2 to 3 minutes each. Remove to the same plate.
- With the Instant Pot still on sauté, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, and remaining kosher salt. Let cook 3 minutes, until the onion beings to soften. Turn the Instant Pot off (on my model, I hit CANCEL). Stir in the chipotle peppers, tomatoes, and reserved chicken. Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer with a little overlap.
- Pour the lime juice over the top.
- Lock the lid in place. Cook on manual pressure for 8 minutes. As soon as the time is up, vent immediately. Once you can open the lid, turn the Instant Pot off.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid reduces by about half. Mixing to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Prepare the avocado sauce (I like to do this while the chicken is pressure cooking): In a food processor, blend together the avocado, Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and salt until smooth. Taste and add additional salt or lime juice as desired.
- Fill the shells with the chicken, drizzle with avocado sauce, and add any desired toppings. Enjoy immediately.
- Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If Frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stove with a splash of chicken stock or extra salsa to keep it from drying out.
- Leftover avocado sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container or mason jar (press a piece of plastic wrap over the top to protect it from air) for up to 2 days.