Instant Pot Chicken in Red Wine Sauce – 21 Day Fix Approved
Yields: 8 servings (approx. 1 cup each)
Portion Fix Containers: (per serving): 1 Green, 1 Red, 1/2 Yellow, 1 teaspoon
For those nights when you want a fancy slow braised chicken, but you want it ready in less than an hour. All made in the instant pot (or the slow cooker), using simple, wholesome ingredients you may already have on hand.
- 2-3 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion (approx. 1½ large)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 lbs. raw chicken breast and thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch (preferably GMO-free) + 2 Tbsp. water (combine to make a slurry)
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon. If there’s excess bacon grease, drain off all but 1 tablespoon.
- To the instant post, add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic, and tomato paste and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the pot
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, paprika and thyme. Heat 1 Tbsp.. olive oil the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Add the chicken to brown on each side, do not cook through.
- Add in the red wine, chicken broth, removed vegetable mixture to the chicken chicken.
- Cover and set the valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once done cooking, use the natural or quick release function. Set the Instant pot to saute and bring to a boil, boil 5 minutes or until the liquid reduces slightly mixing in the cornstarch slurry. Turn the instant pot off.
- Stir in reserved bacon. Serve the chicken and sauce over mashed cauliflower or potatoes
- To slow cook, place browned chicken and mushrooms in slow cooker; add remaining ingredients and cook on low until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours.